When your hormones are in fluctuation, fatigue can be a frustrating side effect that leaves you with low energy, feeling sluggish and irritable. Your first instinct may be to make a pot of coffee, so you can chug some caffeine and get a rush. But it’s a false and unnatural sense of energy, one that will wear off and leave you even more tired than before.
Luckily, you can combat this feeling naturally – with these easy fixes, you’ll be feeling fabulous again in no time!
- Exercise! If you feel sluggish and you don’t feel like exercising, that’s exactly when you should be exercising. Working out will give you the energy lift you need by producing endorphins. Not only that, but you will be happier and your body will thank you for it. And make sure you do it no later than 3 hours before bedtime!
- Take time to relax. Treat yourself to some pampering! If you’ve been stressed, it could be leaving you drained. Learn how to meditate and practice deep breathing to allow yourself to calm down. This will help you unwind and restore your energy.
- Eat more greens and fewer saturated fats! Fruits and veggies will help balance pH levels in your blood and give you more energy, whereas saturated fats can slow you down and worsen your hormonal imbalance.
- Stay hydrated! Dehydration can be a huge contributor to menopausal fatigue since your body has to work harder to perform and it gets worn out. Cut back on caffeine and alcohol, which both dehydrate you and interfere with your sleep, and make sure to drink eight to ten 8-oz glasses of water a day.
- Stay connected – form a support system. At this point in your life, you need a support system to keep you feeling happy and loved. Spending time with women your age will help you feel like you’re not alone. It will give you a boost in energy to laugh off your stress and talk out your feelings with close friends.
If these suggestions do not work for you, make sure to talk to your doctor to see if you may have other conditions causing the fatigue. You don’t have to have low energy all the time when you could be feeling energetic and back to your fabulous self in no time!